Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

This Witch and Santa

Many years ago, when I was a child, Christmas was my favorite time of year. About 2-3 weeks before the big day – and always right before bedtime – sleigh bells would ring at our door and Santa himself would come to visit my younger siblings and I.

He was a great Santa with a gentle voice and sparkling eyes. He would sit in our big wooden rocking chair with his grandfatherly smile and we would take turns sitting on his lap (in our nightgowns and slippers of course), answering his questions and telling him what we wanted most for Christmas. Mom sat close by in her bare feet and adoring smile, while Dad chuckled to himself as he took home videos. 

Santa’s favorite elf would offer us big mouthwatering candy canes – better than anything Mom would ever get at the store; and every year Santa would remind us to leave carrots out for the reindeer – It was Santa’s secret to keeping Rudolf’s nose bright and shiny. We loved knowing that it was up to kids like us to help Rudolf guide Santa safely through the night on Christmas Eve. When it was time to leave - he would pat us on the heads as he walked slowly out the door ringing his jingle bells as he went. 

 * * * * *

We looked forward to that Santa visit every year – and to this day it is still one of my fondest memories of childhood. I am pagan now and no longer celebrate Christmas as I did growing up; but I am also a Mommy.

I know that many pagans shun the idea of Santa while raising their children, but I just can’t imagine a Solstice without him – it would be like a child losing their first tooth without the joys of throwing back that pillow in search of a gift from the toothfairy. And really, Santa is not all that anti-pagan.

Santa’s roots go back much further than St. Nick and the Catholic Church. Santa is a pagan God in a new outfit with a new name; and my kids LOVE hearing about the different mythologies. So the point is that this witch-Mommy has resolved to proudly share the stories of Santa with her pagan kiddos each year and never look back. If you love the idea of Santa as much as I do, I hope you will too.

If you are interested in learning about the origins of Santa, there are so many great articles out there that you should have no problem finding what you need with a quick search online. Need a place to start? You might check out Kala Ambrose’s article on the Examiner.com: http://www.examiner.com/metaphysical-spirituality-in-national/enlighten-others-about-the-spirit-and-history-of-this-holiday-season. It has a great overview of Santa’s beginnings.

I will also be posting a series of Santa stories that I share with my kids, over the next few weeks – so be sure to check back frequently. In the meantime – Happy Solstice Season, and

Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment